A weblog might be tough to get proper. There’s a number of data to show, and you might simply make your web site really feel cluttered, which negatively impacts your website’s consumer expertise.
Having a poor UX in your website comes with its personal set of drawbacks, too, like an elevated bounce price and a drop in search engine rankings. In the meantime, since there’s a ton of blogs on the web immediately, standing out from the gang is difficult sufficient as it’s.
Nonetheless, there’s nonetheless a number of blogs on the market that get issues proper, and meaning there’s loads of design examples you can observe.
1. Smashing Journal
Smashing Magazine makes use of loads of whitespace to provide its web site some respiration room.
The above-the-fold part attracts consideration to its most up-to-date weblog put up, which is accompanied by a brief description of the put up’s contents. Smashing Journal retains the identical theme under the fold, the place it shows quite a few different weblog posts.
The web site goals to generate conversions by encouraging guests to join its e-newsletter. The headline and supporting copy on the suitable summarize the e-newsletter’s contents and advantages. In the meantime, the CTA button itself is easy and strikes a very good steadiness between attracting consideration and never being too obnoxious with its easy white background and purple font.
Right here’s what Smashing Journal does proper:
- The navigation menu features a search bar to assist guests discover particular weblog posts.
- The whitespace above the fold makes the webpage really feel much less cluttered, stopping guests from feeling overwhelmed.
- The CTA highlights the contents and advantages of its e-newsletter straight away.
SitePoint makes use of a two-tone design to make a sexy webpage that promotes its programs. The headline and supporting copy are descriptive and persuasive, whereas the CTA button stands out via contrasting colours.
The remainder of the webpage makes use of whitespace and locations its weblog within the middle to supply some respiration room. Once more, SitePoint signifies every weblog put up’s subject via color-coded labels, and the weblog titles are accompanied by brief descriptions.
Right here’s what SitePoint does proper:
- The 2-tone design serves a double function—it enhances the web site’s look and it promotes its programs.
- Weblog posts are accompanied by illustrations that allude to every put up’s subject and provides the web site a pleasing look.
- SitePoint declutters the web site through the use of whitespace each on the left and proper aspect of the display.
Copyblogger takes a daring method to promotion with an above-the-fold part that focuses fully on its e-newsletter signup type.
The lead magnet’s copy begins with a query to get guests engaged with a free providing, whereas the signup course of solely requires an electronic mail deal with. This method is rooted in the concept that the less steps prospects must undergo to transform, the extra conversions you’ll generate.
Right here’s what Copyblogger will get proper:
- The lead magnet copy is concise but partaking, whereas the inclusion of a single signup type encourages conversions.
- Its headline immediately lets guests understand how they will profit from studying the weblog or signing up for its e-newsletter.
- The white and grey shade scheme offers the homepage a glossy look.
4. Design Methods
Design Systems consists of colourful geometric components in its background to provide the homepage a enjoyable look. Its hero part shows a single put up, which eliminates the danger of overwhelming customers with too many choices and as a substitute highlights one vital piece of content material.
Nonetheless, the web site’s design method shines under the fold as nicely. It consists of uncovered grid strains so as to add house and clearly distinguish between completely different posts. The design is extremely minimalist, however the shapes and colours add a touch of life.
The headlines are additionally straight to the purpose and accompanied by supporting copy that summarizes the contents of every put up.
Right here’s what Design Methods will get proper:
- The colourful shapes and minimalist design strike a steadiness between aesthetics and performance.
- Uncovered grid strains make the structure really feel extra structured and enhance scannability.
- It affords nearly no distractions, thus enhancing the percentages of sustaining a customer’s full consideration.
5. The Moz Weblog
The Moz Blog doesn’t fiddle. Its headline merely states the weblog’s identify, whereas the supporting copy lets guests understand how they will profit from it. After that, the web page jumps proper into posts.
The content material is cut up into two symmetrical columns throughout your complete homepage. This prevents customers from feeling overwhelmed with too many choices. Every put up is accompanied by an illustration, headline, and supporting copy that summarizes the content material.
Right here’s what The Moz Weblog does proper:
- It features a dropdown menu so guests can simply filter content material by class.
- The illustrations are enjoyable and add a touch of shade to the web page.
- It alleviates selection paralysis by solely together with two decisions per row.
6. HubSpot Weblog
HubSpot Blog resorts to minimalism to show a excessive variety of posts. The webpage makes use of imagery and weblog descriptions sparingly above the fold, whereas the fonts are sufficiently small to go away room for extra content material.
Regardless of the massive quantity of content material, HubSpot locations posts beneath particular matters to reinforce the looking expertise. The web site makes use of mega menus and a search field to make navigation simple.
HubSpot primarily makes use of a white background so as to add to the web page’s simplicity and provides it extra respiration room. The web site attracts consideration to CTAs by giving the buttons a brilliant orange shade, which is in stark distinction with the background.
Right here’s what HubSpot Weblog does proper:
- The web site consists of mega menus and a search field to assist guests simply discover exact data.
- It makes use of a minimalistic design so it may possibly show a lot of posts with out cluttering the display.
- It peppers CTAs all through the webpage and makes them stand out through contrasting colours.
7. Influencer Advertising Hub
Influencer Marketing Hub shows much less content material above the fold in comparison with HubSpot. This helps alleviate the consequences of resolution paralysis and nudges customers to click on on a couple of choose posts. The web site additionally neatly organizes its content material via a grid-based structure—every row shows three posts, assuring symmetry and a constant looking expertise.
The higher portion of the display goes simple on design components to drive consideration towards the headline, which briefly summarizes the web site’s content material. That is ultimate for letting first-time guests know what to anticipate.
Right here’s what Influencer Advertising Hub does proper:
- Its headline is attention-grabbing and briefly states how the web site helps its guests.
- The enjoyable illustrations and pastel colours makes the web site enticing and simple on the eyes.
- The homepage consists of a number of sorts of posts, like case research, listicles, and how-to guides. This provides guests selection, making them extra more likely to discover the posts that attraction to them.
8. PPC Hero
In the identical vein, PPC Hero’s pastel colours result in a pleasing looking expertise. This time, nonetheless, this web site makes use of a hero part to drive full consideration to 1 particular weblog put up. Then, solely the CTA is positioned under and blends in properly with the remainder of the web page.
PPC Hero’s below-the-fold content material shows extra weblog posts, with only one weblog per row. This creates a clutter-free looking expertise and provides guests a straightforward means to decide on the blogs they need to learn.
Every weblog put up is accompanied by a brief description and an illustration that gives further context. Guests can soar between a number of weblog classes through a drop-down menu positioned under the fold on the left-hand aspect of the display—a extremely seen spot.
Right here’s what PPC Hero does proper:
- It consists of a number of navigation choices within the header part—a major menu, a secondary menu, a search field, and two clickable logos.
- The web site’s minimalist method doesn’t distract guests with too many choices, making them extra more likely to click on on a selected put up.
- There’s a e-newsletter CTA each above the fold and within the web page’s footer, making it extra more likely to drive conversions.
9. BBQ Hero
BBQ Hero wastes no time in explaining what its web site is about within the headline and header part of its webpage.
The hero part additionally promotes the positioning’s e-newsletter—it stands out via a white background and features a single type area to compel customers into signing up. The copy is partaking and explains the e-newsletter’s advantages.
BBQ Hero divides its recipes into three columns, each devoted to particular grilling tools. This helps guests simply discover the recipes they’re searching for.
The homepage concludes with a quick presentation of the web site’s authors, which goals to ascertain a stronger reference to guests.
Right here’s what BBQ Hero does proper:
- The web page’s headline describes the weblog’s content material, whereas the background picture supplies further context.
- The e-newsletter promotion is minimal however extremely efficient. It grabs consideration, whereas its copy is persuasive and lets guests know precisely how they will profit from signing up.
- Its three-column structure does a very good job of differentiating content material for guests.
10. Price range Bytes
Budget Bytes focuses on mouth-watering imagery to attract consideration and supply further context to every certainly one of its weblog posts. It additionally shows costs of every recipe beneath the put up titles, which affords readers essential data and stays true to the weblog’s identify.
The navigation menu on the top-right is well-structured, with dropdown menus indicated by brilliant yellow icons that add an additional layer of visible help.
The below-the-fold content material can also be laid out nicely—it divides recipes into numerous related classes, comparable to dishes for the autumn or recipes beneath $10.
Right here’s what Price range Bytes does proper:
- The web site’s method to repeat is mild, well-structured, and emphasizes the usage of photographs. This makes the Price range Bytes weblog simple to scan and navigate.
- It features a social sharing button within the backside proper. This makes it simple for guests to share recipes with their associates, whereas the share counter acts as social proof.
- Navigation objects with dropdown menus are clearly indicated by brilliant contrasting icons.
11. Inexperienced Automotive Studies
The Green Car Reports weblog is minimalistic and environment friendly. Its prime information part occupies the biggest portion of the display, making it simple to identify trending articles. In the meantime, it additionally locations its automobile assessment part in a vertical carousel on the suitable, which customers can browse through brilliant inexperienced navigation arrows.
The weblog’s headlines don’t require any guesswork, as they’re extremely descriptive. The identical might be mentioned in regards to the navigation menu, which has labels that immediately let customers know which pages they’ll go to as soon as they click on on them.
Right here’s what Inexperienced Automotive Studies does proper:
- It highlights important design components like CTAs and carousel navigation buttons in brilliant inexperienced. This attracts consideration but additionally matches the environmentally pleasant theme.
- The net copy is easy, whereas the photographs present visible context and enhance the web site’s aesthetics.
- The carousels are signaled by the brilliant navigation buttons.
Treehugger embraces whitespace and makes it an integral a part of its design. It offers the webpage loads of respiration room and helps customers scan via content material with ease. The sunshine-blue touches additionally brighten up the web page and provides it a playful look.
Treehugger doesn’t go overboard with its design components, particularly above the fold. It makes use of imagery to drive consideration to its most related article, whereas the most recent information part is positioned neatly on the suitable.
Moreover, its navigation labels are additionally clear, whereas every menu merchandise incorporates its personal dropdown menu. That is good for together with a number of navigation choices with out cluttering the display.
Right here’s what Treehugger does proper:
- Moderately than specializing in the most recent releases, the homepage principally showcases widespread posts throughout a number of classes. Some are emphasised via imagery.
- Though used sparingly, the light-blue touches considerably contribute to the web page’s nice design.
- The social buttons within the header additionally show the web page’s follower rely—which is a intelligent means of including social proof.
13. Cup of Couple
Cup of Couple makes use of the highest portion of the display to showcase featured articles in a carousel format. This prime positioning ensures that guests gained’t miss out on them.
In the meantime, the web site additionally makes use of uncovered grid strains to arrange navigation menu objects and separate weblog posts.
Moreover, relatively than the normal white background, Cup of Couple selected a light-gray shade scheme. Coupled with the massive fonts and uncovered grids, the web site is simple on the eyes and extremely scannable.
Nonetheless, giant fonts can typically occupy an excessive amount of display house—particularly in content-heavy web sites. Cup of Couple offers with this by animating its longer headlines in a information ticker model. These animations play as soon as guests hover their mouse over a selected headline.
Right here’s what Cup of Couple does proper:
- The sunshine-gray background doesn’t pressure the eyes and provides off a calming ambiance.
- The uncovered grid strains make the online content material simple to scan and add to the web site’s aesthetics.
- The massive fonts improve readability and complement the remainder of the web site’s design.
14. Lovers Journal
Lovers Magazine makes use of your complete above-the-fold part of the homepage to showcase its newest interview.
The split-screen structure additionally provides to the web site’s look and separates the headline and supporting copy from the picture. The copy introduces the interviewee, providing simply sufficient data to get guests to learn extra about it.
The web site’s imagery presents a private introduction to every interviewee, which provides additional context and improves the design’s aesthetics. The inclusion of human faces can also be attention-grabbing and helps guests set up a stronger reference to the web site.
Right here’s what Lovers Journal does proper:
- The header blends in with the remainder of the homepage’s design, making it much less distracting.
- The above-the-fold picture serves a number of functions—it enhances aesthetics, grabs consideration, and supplies additional context to the supporting copy.
- The web site’s minimalistic method retains the customer’s consideration on the interviews.
15. Say Sure
Say Yes follows the same structure to Lovers Journal. Nonetheless, the split-screen structure is symmetrical this time, putting a steadiness between copy and visuals.
The web site’s brand together with its tagline is the very first thing guests see—and that’s wonderful for spreading the model’s message. The principle article’s headline and supporting copy additionally give attention to describing the put up’s content material and invitations customers to learn extra.
Moreover, Say Sure shows much less content material under the fold to enhance scannability. The navigation menu is as simple as it may possibly get—it consists of two menu objects and a search bar, whereas the primary matters are positioned beneath a dropdown menu to declutter the display.
Right here’s what Say Sure does proper:
- The emphasis on imagery coupled with a white and smooth pink shade scheme offers the web page a pleasing, stress-free look.
- The emblem and tagline are positioned in a extremely seen spot, establishing a reference to guests as quickly as they land on the web page.
- It makes use of whitespace to declutter the display and focus consideration on particular person items of content material.
Equally, Adventure.com makes use of a lot of the above-the-fold part of the homepage to spotlight particular person weblog posts.
Nonetheless, the hero picture is now a part of the web site’s background, which additionally makes use of a carousel to show a number of posts. This provides guests extra selection with out having to scroll wherever. The carousel comes with a transparent progress bar and navigation arrows positioned on both aspect of the display.
Once more, the web site’s minimalistic design retains customers targeted on the content material. The below-the-fold content material is nicely structured, with posts divided into a number of classes to make the webpage simply scannable.
Right here’s what Journey.com does proper:
- Moderately than redirecting guests to a different web page, the e-newsletter signup permits customers to enter their contact particulars instantly on the homepage.
- The hero picture carousel shouldn’t be automated, which is much less distracting and permits customers to view the slides at their very own tempo.
- Every weblog’s headline is proven in full, whereas the accompanying photographs add visible context.
17. The Broke Backpacker
The Broke Backpacker attracts consideration to its e-book as quickly as guests land on the webpage. The headline and supporting copy are well-crafted—they’re persuasive and briefly describe the e-book’s advantages.
The CTA stands out via brilliant colours, whereas its copy is descriptive and in good continuity with the headline—it invitations customers to learn the way they will journey the world for $10 per day.
The positioning familiarizes customers with what the web site is about proper under the fold, whereas the weblog posts are proven additional down. This helps guests set up a reference to the weblog and construct just a little hype earlier than diving into the posts.
Right here’s what The Broke Backpacker does proper:
- Moderately than a generic “Signal-Up Now” CTA, its “Discover Out How” copy is extra inviting and works higher with the headline.
- Its navigation menu isn’t distracting, nevertheless it affords hyperlinks to pages guests might discover helpful.
- The web site takes the time essential to introduce itself to first-time guests.
18. Lady Gone Overseas
In distinction, Girl Gone Abroad introduces the weblog in just some phrases. The headline briefly states the blogger’s journey expertise, whereas the button above it’s simple and invitations guests to view the positioning’s weblog posts straight away.
The background video makes the web page really feel just a little extra dynamic and conveys a calming ambiance.
Moderately than displaying quite a few weblog posts on the homepage, Lady Gone Overseas consists of navigation hyperlinks to pages devoted to particular continents under the fold—it’s handy and permits them to shortly discover the posts they’re most involved in.
Right here’s what Lady Gone Overseas does proper:
- The web site is well-structured—it helps guests shortly discover the content material they’re most involved in.
- The homepage consists of minimal design components, enhancing consumer expertise and loading occasions.
- The headline/tagline is brief, catchy, and descriptive.
19. Airbnb Newsroom
The Airbnb Newsroom weblog is extremely minimalistic—it’s heavy on whitespace, utilizing photographs to supply further context and play into the design’s aesthetics.
The above-the-fold part shows a single put up, driving consideration to an vital information piece. In the meantime, the headline is easy and the CTA button pops via contrasting colours. All of this stuff mixed entice the consumer to proceed onward.
The remainder of the homepage is cut up into a number of classes, permitting customers to skim via content material with ease.
Right here’s what Airbnb Newsroom does proper:
- It makes use of whitespace as a option to embrace quite a few posts with out making the web page really feel cluttered.
- The hero part shows a single put up—this prevents customers from feeling overwhelmed by too many decisions.
- The homepage carousels don’t auto-play, making them much less distracting.
WIRED follows a newspaper-like format. Though considerably old-school, it’s efficient at displaying giant quantities of data whereas preserving the web page simple to scan.
The above-the-fold part is cut up into three asymmetrical columns primarily based on significance—the center one takes up probably the most house, drawing consideration to a single information piece.
The asymmetrical theme is discovered all through the remainder of the web page however beneath a row-based format. This breaks continuity, making the web page much less tiring to have a look at. The rows are additionally cut up by black strains, serving to customers distinguish between numerous information classes.
Right here’s what WIRED does proper:
- Its asymmetrical structure breaks up the content material and establishes a visible hierarchy.
- Every article shows the headline in full and is accompanied by related photographs—serving to customers perceive the content material subject.
- The white-on-black textual content beneath the gridlines signifies the class of every column or row.
21. Display Rant
Screen Rant goes for a extra symmetrical method by making one particular headline piece the identical dimension as two smaller posts, whereas additionally positioning it on the left aspect to draw extra consideration.
The web site’s navigation menu consists of clear labels, permitting customers to browse content material devoted to particular matters.
Moreover, relatively than separating the headlines from the photographs, Display Rant merges the 2 to avoid wasting display house above the fold. Then, every below-the-fold headline is accompanied by supporting copy that summarizes the put up’s contents.
Right here’s what Display Rant does proper:
- It saves display house above the fold by putting headlines on photographs.
- The white background offers the web site extra respiration room, regardless of the massive quantity of content material.
- The navigation menu features a search bar to assist guests simply discover particular articles.
Mashable highlights the primary headline by putting it on a white background, establishing stark distinction to the remainder of the above-the-fold content material.
What’s attention-grabbing about Mashable’s design is that the hero picture is instantly tied to the primary headline—you possibly can click on on the picture and also you’ll be directed to the weblog put up in query.
This is a wonderful means to attract consideration to a selected piece of content material and concurrently declutter the display. The below-the-fold content material switches to a white background thereafter—thus making the web page simple to scan regardless of exhibiting extra content material. Once more, the navigation menu’s labels are clear, permitting guests to browse explicit matters.
Right here’s what Mashable does proper:
- Its design switches to a white background under the fold for higher scannability.
- Its search field within the top-right permits guests to seek out explicit content material with ease.
- The hero picture declutters the above-the-fold structure.
23. Fast Sprout
You’re going to must forgive us for the cheeky pat on our personal again right here, however our information makes us consider that we do a very good job of displaying a number of weblog posts above the fold. We arrange posts with headers and color-coded labels to assist guests browse the homepage simply, and we additionally attempt to appeal to consideration to a featured put up with a hero picture.
We additionally promote our e-newsletter within the upper-left part of our webpage—which we really feel is an effective transfer since guests spend 80% of their time viewing the left a part of a webpage.
Right here’s what Fast Sprout does proper:
- It declutters the navigation menu via mega drop-down menus, indicating that navigation objects are half of a bigger menu by together with arrows subsequent to every merchandise.
- It supplies a shortcut for conversions by permitting guests to enter their electronic mail addresses instantly on the homepage.
- It makes use of color-coded labels to arrange its weblog posts and improve the looking UX.
Running a blog includes much more than simply developing with concepts, writing them, and formatting your content material correctly. You additionally must take your weblog’s design into consideration, as a result of if customers don’t have a very good time studying it or a very good expertise looking it, the content material will hardly matter.
Should you’re prepared to begin your individual weblog, the 23 examples above will hopefully set you on the suitable path and encourage a great-looking design that works each for you and in your audiences.
Simply be mindful—no one likes a cluttered web site, so whitespace is your buddy.