EO Members Share Takeaways from 2023 WEF in Davos –
Within the picture: WEF’s Olivier Woeffray, Julia Devos and Stephan Mergenthaler with EO members John Metcalf, Troy Armour and Nikhil Hirdaramani in Davos, Switzerland.
The World Financial Discussion board (WEF)’s annual meeting in Davos, Switzerland convened leaders from enterprise, authorities and civil society dedicated to driving optimistic, tangible change for the long-term of our planet and the individuals who reside on it.
Although EO didn’t have an official presence on the January 2023 WEF annual assembly in Davos, 4 EO members attended, having been invited by way of different initiatives: Nikhil Hirdaramani (EO Sri Lanka and EO World Partnerships), Troy Armour (EO Europe Bridge), John Metcalf (EO San Antonio), and Pajani Singah (EO London).
We requested them to share takeaways from the assembly.
The SDG Lab
Nikhil Hirdaramani and Pajani Singah participated within the SDG Lab, which goals to advertise the UN SDGs and brainstorm new concepts for selling them amongst small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) corresponding to EO-member firms. Troy Armour additionally attended and shared his story with the SDG Lab.
“SDG Lab is a multi-stakeholder initiative that contributes to the implementation of the UN SDGs. We have been invited to take part by the World Leaders Initiative, which goals to convey key networks collectively to seek out options that handle the challenges of sustainable improvement. In the course of the 4 days of the SDG Lab in Davos, we labored with world leaders to create mutually helpful options to deal with the SDGs,” shared Pajani Singah and Nikhil Hirdaramani.
Nikhil continued: “We have been lucky to have two EO members who have been capable of show how they’re addressing the SDGs by way of their firms – Pajani Singah and Troy Armour.”
- Pajani Singah’s firm, Amazonia Impact Ventures, was named Top Innovation Winner of the World Financial Discussion board’s 2021 Tropical Forest Commodities Problem for safeguarding the Amazon rainforest and bettering the lives of its individuals by way of an revolutionary finance firm that works straight with indigenous communities within the rainforests.
- Troy Armour’s firm, Junk Kouture, has created an engaged, energetic, and provoking neighborhood of younger individuals working collectively to make a distinction in local weather change by discovering a brand new goal for discarded objects. Greater than 15,000 Junk Kouture designs have prevented an estimated 40,000kg of waste from going into landfills, and impressed youth from 35 international locations.
“At EO, now we have storytelling at our fingertips. We are able to simply share how our 17,000 members are addressing the UN SDGs with their companies,” Nikhil continued. “It was improbable that Troy could possibly be on the SDG Lab with winners from the Junk Kouture competitors who got here dressed of their creations created from discarded objects – offering a real-life instance of tips on how to breathe new life into what may in any other case have gone right into a landfill.
“As well as, SDG Lab individuals have been requested to assist the creation of the SDG Olympic Video games for Local weather. They hope to launch it later in 2023. I shared EO’s GSEA mannequin; SDG Lab might take inspiration from that on tips on how to run this new programme,” Nikhil shared.
Nikhil’s three total takeaways from Davos:
- Enhancing the state of the world is everybody’s enterprise, not simply large enterprise.
- There’s a want for the voice of entrepreneurs to be heard in Davos.
- We’d like to ensure all of the optimistic discussions flip into concrete actions with options.
Inspiring Creativity Amongst Youth
Troy Armour carried his firm’s message from youth to the internal circle at WEF, and even bought a number of the Junk Kouture alumni a platform to talk and share their tales. Right here’s what Troy shared:
I used to be invited to Davos by Deloitte to talk on “how inspiring creativity amongst youth can drive revolutionary sustainability options and assist towards attaining the SDGs.” One story I informed was about Junk Kouture, the world’s largest youth sustainable style competitors, with a imaginative and prescient to complement and empower the lives of younger individuals by way of creativity and sustainability.
I all the time weave EO into the story of Junk Kouture. I share how, in 2018, we skilled vital employees points, even because the competitors was reaching its peak recognition in Eire. In late 2018, I let the entire staff go, and began over. My greatest realisation being that I wanted to spend money on myself earlier than I may lead others. That’s after I utilized to the EO Entrepreneurial Masters Program (EMP) at MIT in Boston.
At EMP, Brian Brault, our course chief, requested me, “Why Junk Kouture?” He saved asking why, and finally the realisation got here on: As a result of each a kind of children are me, and I’m not going to allow them to down! In that second, EO modified the course of my life and my enterprise. In consequence, I employed a staff based mostly on the mantra that we existed to complement and empower the lives of younger individuals.
I went into EMP with a ‘millionaire’ mindset and got here out with a ‘billionaire’ mindset, and never simply in cash phrases: I consider I can affect one billion lives in a optimistic means. That’s transformational for me but in addition for these one billion younger individuals — Junk Kouture went from a one-country occasion to now reaching younger individuals in 35 international locations. I’ve been lucky to inform this story at a number of occasions, together with three in Davos: the Targets Home Sustainable Vogue Roundtable, the UN SDG Lab, and the Deloitte Haus presentation to 130 individuals at Deloitte C-level and their shoppers.
General Takeaways from the WEF assembly in Davos
John Metcalf, co-founder and CEO of Upgraded, shared his expertise at Davos 2023:
This 12 months was my fifth time to go to Davos through the WEF annual assembly. I began going frequently in 2014 after I turned a Global Shaper. (I’m now an alumnus). On my first journey, I made buddies with individuals in different WEF communities like Younger World Leaders and Expertise Pioneers. Now after I go, I see outdated buddies and attend occasions — together with the Swedish Lunch.
My three most vital takeaways from Davos are:
1. WEF occasions and communities practice you to assume large. The query shouldn’t be, ‘How do I develop gross sales from $10M to $20M?’ The query is, ‘How do I enhance the lives of these in my neighborhood?’ Or, ‘Which of the UN SDGs targets and targets is my firm working in direction of?’
2. WEF occasions and communities are remedy for Impostor Syndrome. Having the prospect to satisfy leaders on the highest ranges of enterprise, authorities and affect helps me to keep in mind that they don’t seem to be some type of superhumans. Individuals you respect may slip within the snow, typically lose their practice of thought, and luxuriate in singing karaoke.
3. WEF-size targets + Entrepreneurship is the proper match, however we have to convey the two collectively. Within the WEF, entrepreneurship is talked about, however it’s not on the forefront. On the identical time, my entrepreneur buddies sort of contemplate how they’re Enhancing the state of the world, however it’s usually not on the forefront. There’s a possibility right here.
EO and WEF
EO’s collaborative settlement with WEF, the College of Cambridge, and the Nationwide College of Singapore, established in 2021, explores SMEs’ positioning and future readiness across the United Nations Sustainable Improvement Targets (SDGs). The collaboration produced a White Paper, Future Readiness of SMEs: Mobilizing the SME Sector to Drive Widespread Sustainability and Prosperity.
EO is worked up to proceed its collaboration to offer worth to its members, enhance EO’s visibility globally, elevate the group’s model as a world thought chief, and appeal to new potential members.
For extra insights and inspiration from at this time’s main entrepreneurs, try EO on Inc. and extra articles from the EO weblog.